A few years ago I wrote a post called The Wisdom of Rappers
. I stumbled upon it yesterday and found myelf thinking just how smart those hip hop men and women are. It’s not easy rhyming things with “chedda” and “wangster.”
I have always been a lover of hip hop. I can’t remember a time I wasn’t listening to it. I think my mom used to just put on the Top 40 or Soul Train and it infused in my brain. I’ve also found that booty music is one of my most favorite genres. It’s all dancey and goofy and there isn’t a lot of deep thought. This can also be helpful when you just want to let loose and shake what your mama gave you.
It’s no wonder that sometimes when I need a little inspiration by way of feelin’ like a pimp (go on brush your shoulders off) I turn to my ipod full of beat poppin’ glory. I love the swag of hip hop artists. I don’t care how over the top arrogant they sound. It’s part of the culture of hip hop and I’d love an ounce of that bad assery.
Some people like to sing show tunes while they workout, others like heavy metal to get amped, but me, I love hip hop. Without further ado, here’s part II of some lyrics featuring the wisdom (and motivational themes)of rappers.
1. I’m not saying I’m number one, uh, I’m sorry I lied. I’m number one, two, three, four and five. – KRS-One
2. Girl, you working with some ass yeah, you bad yeah. -Juvenile
3. Make a business for yourself, boy, set some goals. Make a fat diamond out of dusty coals. -Outkast
4. I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive. -Nicki Minaj
5. I’m gonna take this itty bitty world by storm. And I’m just gettin warm. -LL Cool J
6. But I’m a champion, so I turned tragedy to triumph. – Kanye West
7. From Hawaii to Hawthorne, I run marathons. Like Buju Banton, I’m a true champion. -Prazwell (Fugees)
8. I run the marathon til the very last mile. -Beastie Boys
9. Listen to me now, I’m lastin twenty rounds. And if you want me (people) then come on get me now. -Missy Elliott
10. All I do is win, win, win, no matter what. -DJ Khaled
11. Can’t never count me out, y’all better count me in. -Ludacris
As per usual, feel free to add your own in the comments. TGIF!