Hey blogland! I’ve been a busy lady and needed some extra R & R from all the miles I’ve been logging. I have definitely forgotten how hard it can be to get all the miles in and work and scratch your dog’s belly while training for a marathon. Whew! Thank God for Epsom salt, compression socks (finally got some), and ice!
Since I got to hang with my old buddy from college Ryan this past weekend we had a nice little car concert on the way to Gainesville. Ryan and I have very similar taste in music and it’s eclectic to say the least. I was super stoked when he introduced me to some new artists and music that I am officially jamming too. (Thanks Ryan for the new tune-age!)
I personally feel that music can come in all shapes and sizes and doesn’t have to be your typical instruments and some dude with long hair screaming his fool head off (although some of that is good too). If it’s got a beat, makes your move, or moves your soul – it counts as music. As the late, great Freddie Mercury said “I’m just a musical prostitute, my dear.”
Thus today I am thankful for new music! I’m also thankful for oldies that I just can’t get enough of. I have the song titles and artists below. If you click on the title it’ll take you to a youtube video. I apologize for the dumb ads.
1. Tightrope. Janelle Monae ft. Big Boi – Um, hello? Big Boi and big horns and Miss Monae’s voice. Nuff said. This song is super fun.
2. Pon De Floor. Major Lazer. Ok, so I didn’t post the actual video because it’s very scandalous. In fact I dare you to google it yourself and watch it. Dare you. Triple dog dare.
3. 1901. Phoenix. You’ll probably recognize this song from some car commercial. Good band though and the other songs I’ve heard by them are good too.
4. Jar of Hearts. Christina Perri. Yeah, you knew it was coming didn’t you? Here’s the ballad. Get out your tissues. Actually I first heard this song on So You Think You Can Dance and thought now there’s a good break-up song.
5. Age of Consent. New Order. And yeah, you knew this was coming too, didn’t you? Here’s the 80’s song. I had heard this song before Ryan and I had our road trip and didn’t realize how old it was. Ryan and I dubbed this our road trip opening credits song. Hahaha. Yep, we are pretty cheesy that way. *Roll opening credits*
6. Valerie. Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse. First of all, you must get past the dumb intro on this video and get to the song. Second of all, no, that’s not Amy Winehouse. Apparently her drunk ass couldn’t get to the video production spot. And lastly, yes this song is old, but I love it and felt the need to share it with you. Enjoy! (And Amy for the love of God get right! You have talent!)
7. Takin’ it to the streets. The Doobie Brothers. Now how did this get in here? I must confess I am a nerdy Doobie Brothers fan. I also love Michael McDonald. Blue-eyed soul rocks my world. Don’t judge me.
8. Scarred. Luke. This is the all out booty song of all booty songs. My roommate and I think it’s sounds a little like they have turrets. I don’t care though. This song makes me shake what my mama gave me. (It’s explicit. I warned you.)
9. Handlesbars. Flobots. This song is weird, I’ll be the first to admit it. But for some reason I love it. It gets stuck in my head. I can ride a bike with no handlebars…
10. I’m pretty sure most of you have seen the other videos by OK Go but if not I’ve posted a new one below. And of course, it’s awesome. I’ve posted it below for your viewing pleasure.
So, what songs are you thankful for today?
I have two Phoenix CDs. Love.them.
Ahhh! This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your new music 🙂
Love new music – it's the best. I'm with Lisa.
Jammin' to Jamie Foxx's 'Winner'. I need the motivation……
I'm going to try hard to pick just ONE song for today …. and that song will be …. Flo Rida – Right Round. Helps me on every single run I do!
those ok go guys are awesome. what does lloyd think of the video? i sense some envy that he was not featured…
i'm lame. i jam out to the (wayyy) overplayed songs such as teenage dream or i made it.
I thankful for one of my Höhner-Songs because I helped me go through the running today…